Sunday, November 18, 2007

Yeah, Mama, This Must Be My Dream...

I have a horrible memory. I don’t know why really, I’ve never bumped my head or anything. I’m just…forgetful. This being said, I was racking my brain trying to come up with the very first music video I can remember viewing. I’m sure it was probably some Disney-Channel, Cheetah-Girl nonsense but of course I don’t remember any of those music videos vividly enough to write about them. I also thought of some cop-outs: videos that I am sure were not some of the first I’d seen, but that had somehow managed to stay stored in my memory (“Fell in Love with a Girl,” “Baby One More Time”). I could not only remember the Lego Jack White and the Britney dancing around with fuzzy scrunchies in her hair, but I could remember who I was at the time those videos came out, a writing assignment in the bag for sure!

But then, an older memory weaseled its way out of the folds of grey matter in my skull and I could not shake it in favor of one of the simpler options. There I was, roly-poly about seven years old, sitting Indian-style on the carpeted floor of our basement, watching Marcy Playground’s “Sex and Candy” with my face about eight inches from the television screen.



I can remember being shocked at this world outside of my family’s sponge-painted, wall-papered walls; this world where sex and sensuality was everywhere, oozing from lead-singer John Wozniack’s story as well as his voice. I could vaguely remember some details of the actual video, mainly the rolling, checkered hills. However, there were many things that I could not remember about the video or that I had fabricated in my young mind. Firstly, I had the misconstrued idea that there was actually a woman in the video. For some reason, I pictured her with ruby lips and sitting in a chair…but she was no where to be found. I also had no recollection of the surreal, sort of Tim-Burton feel of the action in the video. I did not remember the spider or his shadow, the digging in drawers for panties, or chilling end of the song where Wozniack drowns (or drifts to sleep?) in a pool of teal liquid.

I suppose all of these weird, almost typical of 90s grunge/alt rock videos elements were birthed out of the song’s lyrics: “mama this surely is a dream.” But, I don’t associate this music video with surrealism, or even its genre or the time period in which it was released. The exact moment when I viewed this video on my basement’s living room floor was the start of my slow loss of innocence; it was the realization of things gritty and slick and un-fluffed and impure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool music video. You’re memories and perspectives are always so unique and your posts really inspire me to dig a little deeper into the underground scene that I’ve come to embrace. Places like the Rialto and bands like Tilly and the Wall are now staples in my life that were certainly aided by your influence. I also liked your previous post about your mother, and the poem you wrote with it. Particularly the last line about how it was no longer your mother’s garden, but your father’s yard. You’re a really creative writer, who expresses herself succinctly and really strikes a chord with her audience (or at least, with the messed up kid going through a divorce). Thanks for the bright spot in my day! Can’t wait to read what you write next!

ENG 001: Language & Writting said...

I almost did this music video as my first music video :P.